Yes! You can be a part of Free Grace Bible College from Mankato, St. Louis, or Kalamazoo!
*Updated for 2021-22 School Year*
Students whose primary residence is more than 60 miles from Elk River will be given an option to enroll in Distance Learning. Our strong preference is that you attend classes on site. Your experience will be vastly enhanced by learning in-person, in community with your classmates, even if it requires a commute. As we navigate the Covid crisis, we stream all of our classes live via Zoom. This makes class available to our distance learners as well as those who find it medically necessary to stay home.
Those who must miss a class due to medical or other reasons will be required to stream live or watch the recorded class prior to the next week's class time. (See attendance policy in student handbook.)
We have worked to ensure a safe learning environment for all who attend on site. Each student enjoys plenty of elbow room (see: a 6' perimeter of your own personal space) and will be required (if medically able) to wear a face covering per current mandates.
The College faculty, staff and mentors are committed to...
- Establishing a healthy mentor/encouragement network to support students
- Cultivating authentic community among our students
- Raising up active disciple-makers in the Body of Christ
- Developing whole-hearted followers of Jesus.
We work hard to ensure that students who are Distance Learning will still experience these crucial parts of discipleship.
Classes are taught on campus each Tuesday, and all local students are required to attend in person if they are healthy and have not been exposed to a confirmed Covid case.
Students who can't attend in person for this reason or an emergency may be permitted to stream live with prior approval from College staff.
All classes will be recorded live and uploaded to our online college management software.
If Distance Learning, you will be required to watch LIVE to participate in class discussions.
We use a secure, web-based college management software called Populi. No need to learn multiple apps - everything from your initial application to your tuition payments, from recorded classes to your quizzes will happen on Populi, whether attending in-person or online.
Your account is automatically added upon your acceptance in one of our programs - no setup required.
Fellowship is an integral part of discipleship, which is why our programs rely on community-based learning.
Attending class on campus fulfills this requirement! Distance students will be required to have Connection Points with fellow classmates, alumni mentors, and/or College Staff/Pastors each week.
Going to college can be a daunting task, especially when new technology is involved. But no FGBC student is on their own - even if Distance Learning!
All students will receive as much support as they need to succeed in their classes, whether that's academic coaching, tech assistance, additional materials, or prayer.
TECHNOLOGY: All students - whether Distance Learning or attending in-person - must have access to the following materials:
- Reliable internet access
- Computer, tablet, or mobile device with a webcam and microphone
- Working printer (color ink preferred, but not required)
- Active email address and phone number with voicemail and texting ability
ATTENDANCE: Attendance and class participation credit have four required components.
- Learning: Attendance is required on-site or live streamed if Distance Learning. In the event of an emergency or illness, recorded instruction must be viewed live within one week of the original teaching date, prior to the next class.
- Community: Each student must participate in weekly community-building time (either live in class or in the chat online).
- Mentorship: Each student will be assigned a personal discipler/mentor who will check in with him/her on a weekly basis. Each student must have an in-person meeting with his/her assigned discipler at least once per month.
- Communication: All students must communicate with college staff weekly in a timely manner regarding attendance and assignments.*
*The college staff reserves the right to modify, supplement, or increase these attendance requirements on an individual and student-body level as the year progresses in order to better support struggling students. Adjustments will occur with the students' prior knowledge and written agreement and will take student needs, abilities, and limitations into account.